Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The commission I am working on for a private collector.

A while back, I was approached to create a wonderfully large piece for a designated space in a beautiful Mid-Century Modern home. My design is shaped from exotic wenge wood with black & white ebony highlights. I have been working on this for the past 3 months. […so maybe you will understand why I am not on back on Facebook yet…] The area has very specific design requirements and needed to be free-form with no frame. When finished, it will be over 5 feet tall and only 9 1/2 inches wide and will float off the wall via a custom riser system as if hovering there by magic.

Here is beginning of my process, the starting with the back view.
Before any shaping of the actual design could take place, I had to have an inner metal skeleton water jetted in order to give the wood a core as well as inner strength.

Special holes were tapped in the metal to accommodate the custom riser system. I then routed an inner pocket into the back the piece so the metal frame could be flush fit.



I then epoxied the aluminum frame in place and clamped it down as it cured.Next: the shaping of the design. I will post new pictures all this week and wrap up with the final design when installed.